Moving a house full of furniture, appliances, and soft goods across the country runs thousands of dollars. The average cost of hiring professionals for long distance moves ranged from $2,200 to $5,700 in 2021. Based on the going rate for labor, these numbers might be higher today.
In addition to labor costs, moving companies consider the distance and size of the house when quoting a price for their services. When a family is moving a long distance and has a four-or-five bedroom home, professional moving services might exceed $10,000!
Granted, executives and other professionals might have employee relocation packages paying for professional moving services. But some companies limit how much they will pay, so make sure to check policies before accepting a position in another city. New employees benefit by negotiating for reimbursement for moving expenses before accepting a position.
Those who do their homework when it comes to hiring a moving company spare themselves some of the stress of moving. Two key things to find out when moving across the country are:
- Does the company have their own teams on the ground and on the road, or do they subcontract the job?
- Will the company come look at your household goods before writing the quote? This step leads to accurate estimates and eliminates what can be an unwelcome surprise when it is time to pay for the move.
Getting several quotes will help you know you’re getting the best deal for their situation.
Additional One-Time Moving Costs
Moving expenses beyond paying the movers add up quickly. When making a moving budget consider whether to include these potential expenses:
- Deposits for utilities
- Storage units
- Cleaning services
- Airfare for house-hunting and relocating
- Shipping pets and vehicles
- Liability insurance
- Temporary housing and hotel rooms
- Eating out